The Paisley Pony Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Paisley Pony Forum

Celebrating the Magic of Ponies

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Too many ponies and not enough riders!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fancyponies

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-07-13

Too many ponies and not enough riders! Empty
PostSubject: Too many ponies and not enough riders!   Too many ponies and not enough riders! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 1:35 pm

How many trainers/owners are having a hard time finding pony riders?? Seems there are way too many ponies being bred and started under saddle. Not near enough young riders taking interest in riding. I know myself and several others who have NICE ponies and we are begging for riders. Catch riding is not ideal but I have resorted to it from time to time. I think catch riding puts too much pressure on young riders to ride perfect and win on a pony they have never seen before. Not to mention it is the owner/trainer that pays the entry fees knowing that there is no way for the young rider to "learn" that pony in a few minuites or less. It is frustrating to have nice ponies and no riders. scratch
Back to top Go down
welsh1969

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Too many ponies....... not enough riders   Too many ponies and not enough riders! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 1:42 pm

Excellent points that you bring up. Question though, do you think that kids are not interested in riding anymore or maybe kids are being advanced to ride horses younger now? I know I've seen kids I think are too small to be riding horses in the show rings more and more. I think it's dangerous if the kids are too little to control the animal in some type of emergency situation like getting stung by a wasp or bees when in the ring for example. I've seen it happen, and think injuries would have been minimalized if the size of the rider was more suitable to the size of the animal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casmaranstud.com
fancyponies

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Too many ponies and not enough riders!   Too many ponies and not enough riders! Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 7:27 pm

Seems that kids do want to ride in "today's world" of riding but want instant results similiar to playing a video game. Click, Click, click and by magic they are now accomplished riders!! No one seems to realize the work and time that must go into riding to become experienced. Parents also tend to let their "brillant" child overextend in all kinds of activities instead of having them vocus/commit to one or two at the most. Beginners riding in one lesson a week do not progress quickly!!!! But many think they do. I also see a trend for instructors to overface riders by putting them on mounts that are either too big or are just too much for them to handle. scratch Drives me CRAZY. It seems to be the new status symbol........see if your small child can ride a big horse Rolling Eyes Yes, some children do outgrow ponies physically rather quickly but then that is why many owners/trainers offer leases!! No matter how quiet the horse is, it is a dangerous situation to have that little rider up there.
Back to top Go down
paisleypony

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Too many ponies and not enough riders!   Too many ponies and not enough riders! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 3:07 pm

I was in Cape May at a friend of mines about 2 weeks ago. It was so nice to see her pony kids riding. They are not polished show riding kids...but a group of kids that love to ride...and want to learn. The ponies get really well started there. They learn how to be kid proof and have a pleasant start to their careers. I dont think there are a lot of places like this around here anymore.
Back to top Go down
poniemom

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Too many ponies   Too many ponies and not enough riders! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 6:54 pm

I jusy have to say, my 12 yr. old daughter loves the catch rides, more than our own ponies.....and she does a great job at it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too many ponies and not enough riders!   Too many ponies and not enough riders! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too many ponies and not enough riders!
Page 1 of 1