The Paisley Pony Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Paisley Pony Forum

Celebrating the Magic of Ponies

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's GOOD to be old!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
welsh1969

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-05-24

It's GOOD to be old! Empty
PostSubject: It's GOOD to be old!   It's GOOD to be old! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 7:52 am

Information you seldom hear now ............

I was speaking with a 91 year young farmer, Harry Hubacek, on August 10th, about livestock and breeding. Though failing physically, Harry is still very 'with it' mentally and remembers information from the 1920's when a child in Fort Lee, NJ. The oldest son of a dairy farmer, who was also the son of a dairy farmer, Harry's word struck me as simple truth ............. he related "You don't inherit your strengths and faults from your parents, no, you inherit them from your grandparents and great-grandparents, and going back even farther.

The same with the animals, there are a lot of things you do not know because you are too young; but in the early 1900's there were things going on in Europe, and many animals were exported to the U.S. This was done because the people, the farmers, didn't want to lose their breeding stock. With the cows, like the Ayshires, they were sent here with papers, and our farmers bought them and used them and bred them to keep them pure. My brother and I bought several which were imported. Later on many of the well to do farmers in Europe bought the youngstock back, and that is how they kept them pure.
Over there you were told how to breed your livestock, but the farmers knew to keep them pure.
Yes, it happened to much of the livestock over there, horses and cows, pigs and even chickens. It was, political, you know. They wanted to produce more you know, and bigger and better........ but the farmers knew what produced better so they preserved their bloodstock.
You have to do that with your crops too, the hybrid seeds do not produce true, you have to keep your old seeds, they produce true."
Back to top Go down
http://www.casmaranstud.com

It's GOOD to be old!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Paisley Pony Forum :: Pony Breeding Forum-
Jump to: